Four labourers die after inhaling toxic fumes in water tank

Four out of five labourers died as they inhaled toxic gases while trying to clean up a harvesting tank in South Delhi’s Ghitorni area on Saturday morning. The Delhi Police has registered a case against the owner of the property.

“Five people were rescued from the water tank out of which four of them identified as Anil Kumar, Balwinder Singh, Swaran Singh and Deepu were pronounced dead on arrival. One of them was identified as Jaspal Singh was safe and on the basis of his statement a case has been registered,” said Ishwar Singh, Deputy Commissioner Police, South. He added that a case under sections of culpable homicide not amounting to murder has been registered against the owner of the property JK Mehta, staff members, as well as the builder of the property.

According to Jaspal they reached at the Ghitorni village around 9am. The place where a lot of paying guest accommodations and tenants reside were facing issues of blockage in the harvesting tank which is stated to be connected with sewer pipelines. The contractor of the labourers was called by one of the persons from the Ghitorni Village in order to clean the lines.

Narrating the sequence of events Singh said that it was Anil who opened the tank cover and went in first. When he did not return, Balwinder stepped in to look for him but even he did not come back up.

“Later on to search for the two of them Deepu went it , but when we shouted for him he did not respond. My father Swaran Singh then decided to use a rope and rescue all of them. He did not respond and then finally I went inside but I do not remember what happened after that,” said Singh.

One of the persons informed the police. The fire brigade was also called in and rescue operations began. The five were rushed to different hospitals in South Delhi.

Jaspal Singh was discharged after treatment and revealed that none of them were wearing gloves or masks or any other safety gear.

Leave a Reply