New Delhi: India today reported 38,628 new Covid cases, a drop of nearly 13 per cent from yesterday’s 44,643 cases. It also reported 617 deaths, which is an increase on yesterday’s 464 number, taking the total death count to 4,27,371.
Here are the top 10 updates on coronavirus in India:
- The positivity rate – number of positive cases identified per 100 – stands at 2.21 per cent, less than 3 per cent for last 12 days.
- Kerala, which has been leading states in most number of daily Covid cases, today reported 19,948 cases. The state has been consistently reporting over 20,000 cases for many days. It also reported 187 deaths.
- Andhra Pradesh with 2,209 Covid cases, Tamil Nadu with 1,985, Karnataka with 1,805 are other southern states with high number of daily cases. Telangana reported 577 cases in a day.
- Maharashtra, the worst-hit state in terms of overall Covid cases, today logged 5,539 cases, a big drop from the 9,026 it registered yesterday. The state also reported 187 deaths.
- Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar – the three big states – reported zero Covid deaths over a 24-hour span.
- With 975 Covid cases, Assam leads the northeastern states with most number of cases in a day. It is followed by Mizoram (722), Manipur (742), Meghalaya (515).
- Tourists’ hot-favourite Goa reported 97 Covid cases in a single day. It also registered one death.
- The vaccine production in the country has been increased from 2.5 lakh doses per day to around 40 lakh doses per day, said Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar, Minister of State (MoS) for Health on Friday.
- With India crossing the 50-crore mark on Friday in the number of Covid vaccine doses administered, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the country’s fight against the pandemic has received a “strong impetus”.
- Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla has said he is hopeful that Covovax, another COVID-19 vaccine being manufactured by his company in India, will be launched in October for adults and for children by the first quarter of 2022.