Menu

Timesdelhi.com

May 24, 2019

Manipur polls: No women, only one Muslim in BJP's first list

Delhi/India/Politics by

BJP workers at an election rally

GUWAHATI:  The BJP on Monday released its first list, comprising names of 31 candidates, for the two-phase Manipur elections scheduled for March 4 and 8.

The names were finalized at a party meeting held on January 19 in New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by BJP national president Amit Shah and attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister
Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and other members of the party’s central election committee, the BJP said in a statement.

Three former Manipur Congress Ministers, N Biren Singh, Yumkham Erabot Singh and Francis Ngajokpa; two former Congress MLAs Dr Kh Loken and Z Kikhonbou Newmai, and Congress leader Dr S Ranjan were among the candidates, whose names were announced on Monday. Biren, Erabot Singh and Newmai had resigned as Congress MLAs last year and later defected to BJP.

Other biggies to have been issued tickets were the party’s former state unit president Th Chaoba, former state CPI leader N Mangi and former leader of Manipur People’s Party O Joy.

Interestingly, there is no woman candidate in BJP’s first list. Also, it contained the name of just one Muslim, Md. Anwar Hussain. Muslims account for 6 percent of Manipur’s around 26 lakh population.

According to BJP sources, the names of the remaining 29 candidates will be announced on January 27.

Meanwhile, former Congress MLAs Nemcha Kipgen and Vungzagin Valte and the party’s vice president S Achouba, who resigned on Sunday, would join the BJP on Wednesday.

“They are joining BJP on January 25 in the presence of our leaders Ram Madhav and Himanta Biswa Sarma (Assam Minister). All of them will be issued tickets,” BJP spokesman N Biren told Express.

“The names of the remaining 29 candidates will be announced on January 27. The BJP is confident of bringing an end to the 15-year Congress regime in Manipur,” he asserted.

THE NAMES OF CANDIDATES

  1. N. Biren Singh
  2. L. Susindro Meitei
  3. Th. Biswajit Singh
  4. L. Rameshwor Meetei
  5. Dr. Nimaichand Luwang
  6. Kh. Ibomcha Singh
  7. Dr. Kh. Loken Singh
  8. R.K. Shivachandra Singh
  9. Th. Satyabrata Singh
  10. Yumkham Erabot Singh
  11. Dr. S. Ranjan Singh
  12. S. Premananda Sharma
  13. O. Joy Singh
  14. S. Joy Singh
  15. K. Robindro Singh
  16. Th. Chaoba Singh
  17. L. Radhakishor Singh
  18. P. Sharatchandra Singh
  19. M. Asnikumar Singh
  20. N. Mangi Singh
  21. Md. Anwar Hussain
  22. L. Bashanta Singh (Bhim)
  23. O. Haridas Singh
  24. Th. Radheshyam Singh
  25. M. Hemanta Singh
  26. Th. Jadumani Singh
  27. Dr. U. Deben Singh
  28. Dr. Y Radheshyam Singh
  29. Y. Jiban Singh
  30. Francis Ngajokpa
  31. Z Kikhonbou Newmai

UP polls: SP releases third list; Akhilesh to contest from Mubarakpur

Delhi/India/Politics by

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and newly appointed party president Akhilesh Yadav with Mulayam Singh Yadav Dimple Yadav at party office in Lucknow on Sunday. (File | PTI)

LUCKNOW: The Samajwadi Party (SP) on Monday released its third list of 37 candidates for the upcoming Uttar Pradesh assembly elections.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will contest from Mubarakpur constituency while his sister-in-law Aparna Yadav will contest from Lucknow Cantonment.

Ravidas Mehrotra will be fighting from Lucknow Central and Abhishek Mishra will lock horns from Lucknow North.

The fresh list comes a day after the Samajwadi Party finally sealed deal with the Congress for the high-voltage electoral battle.

The Samajwadi Party had earlier released two lists, containing 268 names.

The nomination for the first phase of polling ends on January 21.

Uttar Pradesh goes to polls on February 11.

CBI registers three fresh cases involving Chhota Rajan

Delhi/India/Politics by

Gangster Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje a.k.a.

NEW DELHI: CBI has taken over investigation in three cases of alleged murder and extortion, purportedly masterminded by gangster Chhota Rajan.           

The gangster, who is in custody here following his deportation from Indonesia in 2015, is being booked by CBI on the request of Maharashtra government and further notification from the Centre.     

The CBI had taken over a case of alleged murder and other two cases of extortion against Rajan, who is a former key aide of dreaded don and Bombay blasts main accused Dawood Ibrahim. Giving details of the case, CBI Spokesperson R K Gaur said, the first case (of extortion) was earlier registered at Nirmal Nagar in Mumbai (Maharashtra) against unknown persons in April 1999.

“It was alleged in the complaint that during the period from March 2, 1999 to April 8, 1999, the unknown accused persons identifying themselves as Rohit, John, Ashok, etc of Chhota Rajan gang made telephonic calls to the complainant and threatened him with dire consequences to extort money to the tune of Rs 25 lakh (approx),” he said.     

Gaur said, in this case, provisions of MCOC Act, 1999 were subsequently applied by the local police. In the second case registered at Police Station Tilak Nagar in Mumbai against two unknown persons, it was alleged that on October 7, 1998, when deceased Bala Kotiyan along with his friend was sitting at Navgrah Hotel, two unknown persons holding revolver and pistol entered the hotel shot him dead, he said.   

In the third case, Gaur said, it was alleged that on July 31, 2004 accused persons with common intention forcibly entered in the office of complainant at Mulund posing themselves as the gang members of Chota Rajan and assaulted complainant and his servant and demanded money at gun point.

“The accused also damaged mobile phone/remote of the complainant. In this case, provisions of MCOC Act, 1999 were subsequently applied by state police,” he said.         

Rajan was detained by Indonesian Police in Bali on his arrival from Australia following a Red Corner Notice by the Interpol. He was later deported to India on November 6, 2015.  

Northeast rebels call for boycott of Republic Day, Assam Police talk tough

Delhi/India/Politics by

GUWAHATI: Several insurgent outfits of the Northeast gave a joint call for the boycott of Republic Day celebrations in the region and urged people to stay indoors even as the Assam Police said they were all charged up to take on the militants and thwart any subversive activities.

“As India’s celebration of Republic Day is a stark reminder of colonisation of the region by India, we ought to dissociate ourselves from it…We, the fraternal organisations, have decided that the region should collectively boycott the Indian Republic Day,” a joint statement of the outfits said.

They include United Liberation Front of Assam (Paresh Baruah faction), Coordination Committee (CorCom), which is a conglomerate of some Manipuri insurgent groups, and two other outfits of Meghalaya. They appealed to people to boycott the celebrations by staying at home to ensure a total shutdown.

The insurgents are known to carry out subversive activities in the lead upto R-Day and Independence Day celebrations. But the police in Assam are least perturbed.

“We are trained to fight, prepared to fight; we live to fight and love to fight. We accept their challenge. We have done so for the last 32 years. So, we are ready to fight them,” Assam’s director general of police Mukesh Sahay asserted.

Asked about the operations along Assam-Arunachal border following Sunday’s ambush by the militants that claimed the lives of two Assam Rifles jawans and the subsequent gunning down of two militants by the security forces in a firefight, he said the operations were continuing on both sides of the border.

“The operations are going on intensively in the deep jungles of Assam as well as Arunachal. In Arunachal, they are being carried out by police and Assam Rifles. In Assam, police, paramilitary forces and army are conducting the operations,” Sahay said.

The two insurgents, gunned down by the security forces on Sunday, were Manipuris. This was for the first time that insurgents from Manipur died in a firefight with the security forces in Assam.

Sahay said militants belonging to CorCom had carried out Sunday’s ambush on a road opening party (ROP) of Assam Rifles and they were possibly backed by the SS Khaplang faction of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-K) and the Paresh Baruah faction of ULFA.

Go to Top